Friday 5 April 2013

Suzdal

As far as spring haven't come yet, I think we can recall New Year) It turned out that while I was sorting out my photos, I found some from our winter trip to ancient town Suzdal.


In 999 Suzdal was mentioned for the first time. And then in 1024 there was an uprising of soothsayers. Interesting to note, town which soon became a posessor of the greatest number of churches and monasteries, opposed strongly to Christianization. 


Then there was a fierce resistance against Poles, the Tatar Yoke, plague, which killed more than half of the citizens. But in spite of these circumstances Suzdal continued its development, increasing with its temples and cathedrals. History had never forgotten about this place. In XX century, Friedrich  Paulus was imprisoned in Spaso-Efimevskiy monastery, which used to be a foolproof prison. If you'd like you can visit it, and old residents would tell you that only two or three people succeeded to escape from this jail.


This glorious town is worth visit. Personally, I was there in winter. To my mind, Russian churches are much more beautiful in snow, but I believe that in summer they would be picturesque, illuminated with rays of sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment